We spend more than a one third of our lives asleep, but most of what we know about sleep has only been discovered in the last 24 years.
Scientists and researchers all over the globe are learning more and more about sleep every day (and night), teaching us things we never even dreamed about.
As such we’re constantly stumbling across facts that we didn’t even know about.
So we’ve put together a list of the 10 most interesting and surprising facts we’ve seen about sleep that you may not have known!
10 Fascinating Facts About Sleep
1. Did you know that 12% of people dream entirely in black and white, but before colour television was introduced, only 15% of people dreamt in colour!
2. The record for the longest period someone has gone without sleep is 11 days, this was set by a Californian student, Randy Gardner, in 1964. This is something we would definitely not recommend trying!
3. We’ve all no doubt found it tricky getting out of bed every now and again, but those suffering from Dysania find it particularly difficult. Dysania is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning.
4. The sensation of falling when half asleep and then jerking yourself awake is known as a ‘hypnic jerk’.
5. Sleep deprivation will kill you more quickly than food deprivation.
6. Sea otters hold hands when they sleep so that they don’t drift away from each other – how cute!
7. Humans are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep.
8. 1 in 4 married couples sleep in separate beds.
9. On average, dogs spend 12 to 14 hours a day sleeping; however, puppies can spend up to 20 hours asleep! Help them achieve the perfect night’s sleep with our new Sleepeezee pet bed.
10. Tiredness peaks twice a day, at 2am and 2pm. This is why you’re less alert after lunch.